Learn to sea kayak on Lake Superior during this two-day sea kayaking course in Grand Marais. During the course, we’ll cover:
- Proper fit and adjustment of your kayak for effective control and comfort.
- Safely entering and exiting kayak, including wet exit. On shore and in the water.
- Effective use of basic strokes and braces.
- Assisted and self rescues in open water.
- Marine hazards, safety issues, weather, currents and other risks on Lake Superior.
- Understanding personal limitations and skills.
- Compass and navigation skills.
- Basic towing techniques.
The class will include onshore and on the water classroom time. The first day, we’ll spend in the Grand Marais harbor or at an inland lake and the second day we’ll spend on a section of the Lake Superior Water Trail east of Grand Marais. Students should expect to be challenged and be prepared to have fun while getting wet. If you’re not swimming at some point during this class, you’re not trying hard enough. Although there will be a final on-the-water exam, you’ll also get to play several kayaking games and have fun. We’ll also use video as a feedback tool to help you see how you’re doing.
2 people: $400 per person
3 to 5 people: $300 per person
Time: 9am to 5pm (8 hours), two days.
Age limit: 13 and up. Must be 100 lbs.
Skill level: Beginners welcome.
Instructor to student ratio: 1:5 maximum.
Where to meet: Grand Marais campground boat ramp.
Reservations: Advanced reservation and payment required.
The weather in the northland is dynamic, and if our guides determine it’s too bad, we will change locations or reschedule the class. This class goes out in weather conditions with winds up to 10 knots, waves up to 1 foot, and current up to 1 knot.
We provide the follow equipment for our sea kayaking courses.
- Paddle float
- Sample items such as tow ropes, strobes, VHF radio, flares and other safety items.
If you’d like to use your own equipment, please, discuss this when you make your reservation.